Holy Trinity Curriculum
How we developed the Holy Trinity curriculum
We strive to provide children with a highly engaging and exciting curriculum that has a Christian ethos at its heart. Each year, our curriculum is delivered through five different topics rich in a variety of knowledge and experiences, and each has a unique main focus: Science, History, Geography or Design Technology. Other core and foundation subjects are linked to the overall topic wherever possible and some subjects are taught discretely.
We believe that our topic-based curriculum excites, promotes and sustains children’s interest. It promotes problem solving, creativity and communication. Each topic has a ‘memorable experience’ which fosters a child’s natural curiosity. Trips, residentials and other experiences are offered to enhance their learning, improve confidence and self-esteem, develop independence, and create lasting memories.
The topic-based curriculum at Holy Trinity Church of England School provides a supportive, nurturing, inclusive environment for our pupils to:
- develop as independent, reflective and mindful learners with high aspirations;
- understand the purpose and value of their learning so to be prepared for the next stage of their learning as they move on;
- develop problem solving, creativity and communication skills whilst valuing others’ points of view and opinions;
- know how to make a positive contribution to the school and local community whilst exploring ways of becoming an active global citizen.
Through providing a rich and varied curriculum, our children are able to:
- develop their moral, spiritual, social and cultural understanding which has Christian and British values embedded at its heart;
- experience an exciting and challenging curriculum through engaging topics;
- develop their creativity which fosters their natural curiosity;
- have a sense of personal pride in achievement, purpose and relevance;
- develop rich and deep subject knowledge which embeds the formal requirements of the National Curriculum;
- learn through memorable experiences and extra-curricular activities;
- experience learning through our well-developed outdoor learning environment and programme of study which makes meaningful links to a variety of topic-based subjects.
Our topic-based curriculum is planned in collaboration with a host of various schemes of work, such as; Cornerstones, Kapow, Get Set 4 PE, Spelling Shed, Sing Up, and White Rose Maths Mastery. However, our curriculum’s success is through the expertise of our
dedicated teachers who use their vast knowledge of pedagogical approaches to plan lessons where all of our children can flourish - each child has a range of opportunities to develop, engage and achieve. Our bespoke curriculum meets the National Curriculum for England and Wales and offers numerous activities, which deepen children’s understanding of the world around them.
For an overview of the topics planned for this year, including some of the proposed activities, please view our Curriculum Overview document below. Please note, specific activities may change throughout the course of the year.